Shelters in the Vyšný Komárnik
In the period from the 18th to the 24th of November, 1944, the staff of the comman- dant of the 3rd Czechoslovak Brigade of the 1st Czechoslovak Army Corps and Brigade General Karel Klapálek were stationed in the forest of Mativka in the Vyšný Komárnik cadastre. The General organised and took lead in the battle from his headquarters there, ensuring cooperation with neighbouring Soviet units and the security of the left wing of the 1st Czechoslovak Army corps and the 38th Soviet Army. Dugouts that have survived at their original sites and are relics of the Staff Headquarters. They were renovated in the years 2013–14.